Linus in the tree he escaped to.

The rest of my night wasn't very productive for sleeping.  Around 4:30 am, I thought I heard a short squeak that could have been Linus.  By the time I got outside, there were no further sounds.  At that hour, it was totally quiet out.  After what seemed like a couple of months, it turned 6 am.  Sunrise here is at 6:38 am.  In the predawn light, I took Linus' cage over to the area I thought he might be in.  A few contact calls failed to elicit anything.  I had been thinking that if Linus had flown further on the straight-line course I last saw him on, he might have traveled beyond the condo complex into another neighborhood.  This was kind of hard to imagine, since I was already about a block from the bed and breakfast but I was running out of ideas.  Out the gate I went proceeding along the road, whistling for Linus.  I hadn't gone ten feet when right in front of me, I heard Linus respond with his contact call.  A couple of minutes went by as I kept whistling and he kept responding before I could see him among the leaves in the early light.  Sure enough, there he was about fifteen feet up a small pear tree planted adjacent to the busy road.  As I looked at him, I noticed that he had a bit of dew from the 50 degree night, but was otherwise fine.  Linus soon switched from this contact call to his "pick me up" whistle.  Now that was a problem.  He just couldn’t understand why I just didn’t levitate up and get him.

I took a gamble by leaving his sight for a minute and retrieving his cage from where I had left it.  Linus could see the food and his usual perch but he obviously was uncertain how to climb/fly down and out of the tree.  Hoping the local police wouldn’t stop to ask me what exactly I was doing, I started trying to climb the tree.  The tree had a high crotch that required a struggle to get up onto without any help, but I did manage it.  I talked to Linus as I climbed.  He seemed quite calm and actually had a body language as if to say what took you so long.  I couldn't quite reach Linus but I was about six inches below him.  His chosen perch was a small sucker branch that was quite flexible.  Linus refused to step down to me.  I had forgotten to bring a treat into the tree with me to bribe Linus into moving closer.  Having no other option, I very slowly tried to bend his branch down to lower him to my level.  The moment that branch moved, Linus spooked off.  He went down behind an ivy covered block wall back onto the grounds of the condo project.  Just as in the first flight, I lost sight of him. 



Copyright © 2011, Susie Christian